When choosing a finish, it is important that you understand the benefits of certain finishes and how they relate to your specific project:
- The environment the turnstile is going into: The environment where a turnstile will be installed is an important variable that can affect the longevity and functionality of a turnstile. For instance, if a turnstile is installed outside in a coastal area, the increased presence of salt and water can corrode the turnstile if the correct finish is not chosen.
- How the unit will be treated: Though turnstiles are tough, how they are treated affects which finish should be chosen. For example, turnstiles in a corporate office will see less wear and tear than turnstiles on a construction site. So, it is vital to consider how a unit will be treated and who will be using it before deciding on a finish.
- Powder Coated Steel: This finish is a tough, industrial grade finish that comes standard in black, but can also be ordered in custom colors if desired. Powder coated turnstiles are suitable for indoor applications and can be used outdoors in a covered environment. This finish is tough and holds up to most scratching/rough use. A turnstile will be protected as long as scratches do not go beyond the powder coat protective layer.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel is perfect for outdoor use/use in corrosive environments due to its high resistance to acids and oxidation. This means stainless steel does not readily corrode, rust, or stain like ordinary steel does. Further, unlike powder coating, stainless steel cabinets will keep their integrity no matter how scratched they become. When treated properly, these cabinets are very aesthetically pleasing and provide a modern look to access control systems. The stainless steel finish can be implemented anywhere due to the versatility and resilience of the material.
- Galvanized Steel: Galvanized steel is a steel that has been dipped in molten zinc. The molten zinc bonds with the iron contained in the steel to form a protective layer around the surface of the steel. Galvanized steel helps guard against corrosion and stands up well to water exposure. This finish is the most economical finish and works great in outdoor environments (only available for full height models).
Prev: How many turnstiles do I need?What functions should my turnstile have?